Friday 18 October 2013

The London Life

Last weekend was a very exciting weekend for Laura, Anna and I. 

On Friday afternoon we ventured into London. We arrived at Victoria Station, and according to the internet it was only a five minute walk to our hotel (hooray!) Unfortunately, however, we couldn't figure out the five minute route, as it took us at least 20 minutes. 

That night (October 11th) we had tickets to see Miles Kane at the O2 Academy in Brixton. It was great (regardless of the fact that we got a lot of beer in our hair because of some stupid people)! I wasn't really sure what to expect because I haven't listened to Miles in probably more than a year, and he's released another album within that time - so yes, I'm a terrible fan, I know. 

Laura had enough excitement for all three of us though, so it was okay. 

Pre-gig dinner. Thanks Anna for your obsession with taking photos of us eating
Anna and I 
O2 Academy
If you can't see anything in this photo, don't despair, neither can I

On the way home we kind of got lost amongst all the posh houses. The next morning we eventually realised the proper way to get to and from the station. Enjoy this map I've drawn for you. The blue pen shows the correct way to get to the station from our hotel, the black pen shows the route we took.

You may think this looks silly, but it's a pretty accurate depiction of the journey we took
On Saturday we took a trip to the Victoria and Albert Museum in South Kensington. Okay, may I take a moment to express how much I would love to live in South Kensington if I was rich. I have a feeling though, given my lack of direction in life, that immense wealth is not on the cards for me. Sigh.

Back to the Victoria and Albert Museum! First and foremost, it's amazing! And huge. So huge. And amazing.

I love how there are so many different pieces of art from all different regions around the world, and different eras in time. It's a nice change from purely European art. Even though the European stuff is great. I think the photos speak for themselves, really.

Just looking at this photo hurts my neck 
Ahh  much better
Weird chandelier type thing
Some impressive sculptures
Something
Chinese guy
Blue thing
Creepy hand cups
These look familiar
Japanese warrior guys
Pretty
Tipu's Tiger. This was exciting for me to see because I originally saw this on the documentary Seven Ages of Britain.  Basically, you turn the handle, and eventually the tiger lets out a 'roar' and the man 'screams'
Some...things
Arch thing
Shiny thing
My captions are becoming terrible 
I don't really know what this is
Again, I don't know what this is, but it was kind of creepy
All the walking around the museum meant we were very hungry by the time we left. This, of course, meant a trip to Nando's. Enjoy these unflattering photos of Laura and I eating Nando's thanks to Anna.

Hmm nice
Wow
We then went back to our hotel to get ready to see Eugene McGuinness! Now, I've been wanting to see him live for at least two years now. But you know, living in Australia and everything. Laura (who is also a huge fan) had never seen him before, and was basically jumping with excitement.

The gig was at Queen of Hoxton in Shoreditch - it was sort of a club night celebrating This Feeling's 7th Birthday or something. The gig itself was excellent! Really! Even if he couldn't play for very long because of other bands, it definitely lived up to my expectations (which were very high).

Queen of Hoxton 
Green Eugene
Pink Eugene 
Shitty pink photo of Dominic
Enjoy the blur
Yep
Laura is going to kill me for putting this photo up here
Whoa met Eugene - way exciting
Hey look, it's Dominic McGuinness (of Swanton Bombs/ The Bohicas (??)) and Laura
And again, but not Laura, me
We ended up getting the last train home (oopsies). Anna basically fell asleep as soon as we got home, but Laura and I were too hyper from the amazing night so didn't sleep until much later. I realised the next morning when we had to vacate the hotel that this was a very bad idea. Regardless of my extreme tiredness we managed to have a great day shopping on Oxford Street (okay, I didn't really shop. I was too tired), and just generally being tourists.

A view of the London Eye from St James' Park
All in all, it was a wonderful weekend. Walking back onto the uni campus was utterly depressing. But that's okay, because I'm going back to London tomorrow! Hurrah!


No comments:

Post a Comment